The Jets and Preds rivalry always makes for a fun evening and folks inside Bell MTS Place enjoyed seeing the home side defeat their Central Division rival Predators 5-3 and assume 1st in the division with a 38-22-4 record.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– It was a good start to the game with both teams pace high;
– Preds opened the scoring when Viktor Arvidsson snagged a Trouba miscue and buried it;
– Jets thought they had tied the game but it was called back for offisde;
– 1st period ended with the Preds up 1-0;
– Nashville took a 2-0 lead when PK Subban (despite the boo birds) blasted a PP shot from the point;
– Late in the middle frame the Jets got one back on the PP when Mark Scheifele scored on a backhand;
– Two and a half minutes later Kyle Connor (whose goal was disallowed earlier) put home a writer to tie the game;
– Middle frame ended tied 2-2 with Jets holding a 26-21 shot edge after 40 minutes;
– It was a tight final frame with both sides not really giving up much;
– Eventually captain Blake Wheeler rolled down and shot it far side to give the Jets a 3-2 lead with 5:51 left;
– Tyler Myers made it 4-2 with an empty netter;
– But the Preds pulled the goalie again and Elkholm scored with 59.5 seconds left to make it 5-3;
– Kevin Hayes caped off a memorable night with the empty netter to make it 5-3.
– Kevin Hayes picked up his first point as a Jet, first multi point game as a Jet, first goal as a Jet;
– Mark Scheifele tied his career high for goals (32), hit 40 assists for second time in career and 70+ points for second time.
The Jets were scheduled to practice at 11 am out at the IcePlex but have cancelled ahead of leaving for Columbus later that afternoon as they kick off four games away from Bell MTS Place. Kick start your day with the AM Jets papers which go live at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.