The Jets will head to the Christmas break with the 1-0 win over the Canucks to improve to 24-10-2 on the season and they are the first Western Conference team to 50 points.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Neither side scored in the first 40 minutes of play;
– Laurent Brossoit was a difference maker for the Jets;
– Tempers flared a bit to conclude the middle frame;
– Slow final frame as both teams took turns pressing but neither really had any really dangerous chances;
– Late in the frame the Canucks had a great chance but Laurent Brossoit turned it aside;
– 28 seconds later Dustin Byfuglien fed Mark Scheifele who scored with 1:28 left in the game;
– Jets held on for the 1-0 win.
– Jets are now 10-0-0 when the game is tied after 40 minutes.
– Jets are now 10-2-0 in December.
– Mark Scheifele (22) is now one goal back of Patrik Laine (23) for the team lead;
– Scheifele now has five game winning goals this season;
– Blake Wheeler gets his team leading 43rd assist of the season and tied Mikko Rantanen for the league lead;
– Laurent Brossoit improves to 8-0-1 when starting for the Jets (overall is 8-1-1);
– Brossoit made 40 saves for his first career shutout.
Coach Maurice: Given the schedule how impressive was that win? On the play of Laurent Brossoit. On the stability that Brossoit brings to the lineup. Does Brossoit’s play mean he could change up his goalie schedule? On the too many men, did he get an explanation? Did this being Brossoit’s hometown impact his decision to give him the start? On Wheeler’s appearing to get injured in that first shift. Heading into Christmas break first in the Western Conference.
All audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
That’s it for the Jets as the team now heads off for their Christmas break. We will still have Jets news so be sure to tune into illegalcurve.com first thing tomorrow morning.