The Jets bounced back from a bad 7-1 defeat at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens in their last game to knock off the first place Toronto Maple Leafs 4-3 to improve their record to 16-8-1. Winnipeg is now five points back of Toronto with two games in hand.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats click here to see the results from the game via Natural Stat Trick.
Josh Morrissey scored his first goal of the season which elicited quite a smile from 44.
Nathan Beaulieu left the game with an upper-body injury (blocked a shot with his hand/arm) in the 2nd period.
Mark Scheifele’s assist on Morrissey’s goal moves him into a tie for 4th on the all-time franchise list in assists with 287. Dustin Byfuglien is in 3rd with 294 assists. Scheifele is 5th in the NHL points race.
Connor Hellebuyck made 36 saves in the win. During the game Hellebuyck made his 8000th save for the Jets. While it feels like he made that many stops in the game that is over his six seasons with the Jets. I believe he is now at 8031 saves to be precise.
The Jets improve to 7-0-1 after a loss.
Multi point games:
Andrew Copp 1G 1A
Neal Pionk 3A
Nikolaj Ehlers 2A
Jets coach Paul Maurice didn’t have an update on Nathan Beaulieu who blocked a shot with his hand/arm in the 2nd period. Maurice said he expects to have a clearer update on Wednesday.
1. What stood out about the 2nd period from his group?
2. Finding a balance after a tough loss.
3. Mason Appleton’s success.
4. Was that one of Josh Morrissey’s best games of the year?
5. Putting the right pieces together at the right time to win games.
6. What does he need to work on for the next game?
7. Bouncing back ability of his team.
8. Is there an update on Nate Beaulieu?
9. What does it mean to have a goalie like Connor Hellebuyck?
The Jets are scheduled to practice tomorrow at 11 AM CST. The Morning Papers will go live tomorrow at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.