Quite the storybook game for homegrown Finnish lad Patrik Laine who scored a hat trick along with Connor Hellebuyck’s 36 saves to help power their club to a 4-2 win over the Panthers as they improve to 8-4-1 on the season.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Connor Hellebuyck had to be sharp early as his team got outshot 9-0 out of the gate;
– Mathieu Perreault scored the opening goal of the Global Series;
– Patrik Laine scored (which blew the roof off Hartwall Arena) on the power play (his fourth PP goal of the season) in the 2nd;
– Patrik Laine scored again on the power play to give the Jets a 3-2 lead in the 3rd (his fifth PP goal of the season);
– Patrik Laine ripped home an empty netter from some distance to complete the hat trick;
– This was Laine’s fifth hat trick (Jets have 13 since they moved to Winnipeg);
– Laine joins Theo Fleury as the only other NHLer to score a hat trick overseas (Fleury did it Japan in 1998).
– Patrik Laine with 3 goals (4,5,6 on the season);
– Dustin Byfuglien had 3 assists;
– Blake Wheeler had 3 assists;
– Connor Hellebuyck made 36 saves in the win.
Dustin Byfuglien, Blake Wheeler & Patrik Laine
Coach Maurice: On how special it was to see Laine score three in Finland. On the growth of the NHL (i.e diversity of players). On moving Laine onto the top line with the Panthers net empty. On Laine appreciating being put on the ice with the empty net. On seeing Laine/Barkov facing off with Selanne dropping the puck. On the play of Connor Hellebuyck and whether he will play tomorrow.
All audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
No rest for the wicked as the Jets and Panthers will complete the Global Series with a game tomorrow in Helsinki. Puck drop is at 1 pm.