Euro Curve takes a look at the latest international hockey news.
– According to hockej.cz, SC Bern of the Swiss Hockey League is interested in Free Agent forward Petr Cajanek, formerly of the St.Louis Blues. SC Bern recently found out that 1999 1st overall pick Patrik Stefan would be retiring.
– Robert Dome, drafted in the 1st round (17th overall) by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1997, has recently transferred to HC Slovan Bratislava of the Slovak Extraliga. Dome last played in the NHL in 2002’03 with the Calgary Flames. Dome had 13 goals and 10 assists in 50 games for MODO of the Swedish Elitserien last season.
A couple of signings to announce by Luleå of the Swedish Elitserien;
-Cory Larose, a center from Campbelton, New Brunswick has signed on after playing only 4 games with Ak Bars Kazan of the Russian Super League. The 32-year-old journeyman had an impressive 83 points for the Chicago Wolves of the American hockey league last season. Larose, a former standout with the University of Maine Black Bears, played 7 games with the New York Rangers in 2003’04.
– Former NHLer Lubos Bartecko arrives after transferring from MHK Kezmarok of the Slovakian Extra League. Bartecko had 22 goals and 27 assists in 44 games last year for Luleå. Bartecko last played in the NHL in 2002’03 with the Atlanta Thrashers.
– There is an excellent article on Russian Defenseman Darius Kasparaitis courtesy Gerry Cantlon of Eurohockey.net. Despite the fact Kasparaitis has been demoted to the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League, Cantlon notes that Kasparaitis is far from done in the hockey world. Kasparaitis has bulked up 20 lbs. from last year, is in excellent physical condition and even has aspirations of playing for Team Russia in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Kasparaitis will be a great mentor for Rangers top prospect 6’3 210 lb. Russian Artem Ansimov.
*** The Wolf Pack have more international flavour as Cuban-American Goaltender Al Montoya will start this weekend versus the rival Bridgeport Sound Tigers, farm team of the New York Islanders….. Former Wolf Pack Jarkko Immomen has been dominant with JYP Javaslyka of the Finnish Elite League.
– Alessandro Seren Rosso (RussianProspects.com) writes about Florida Panthers Top Prospect Evgeni Dadonov and how he is drawing comparisons to fellow Russian and Detroit Red Wings superstar forward Pavel Datsyuk. Dadonov plays with hometown Traktor (Chelyabinsk) of the Russian Super League.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Ezra Ginsburg.