Coach Maurice dropped a bomb when he walked into the media scrum today and announced that Evander Kane would be having surgery on his left shoulder with an expected recovery time of 4-6 months.
Some were drawing a conclusion that Evander seeking out the surgery had something to do with the incident with his teammates considering that he was ready to play in the game against the Canucks on Tuesday. However when this theory was posed to coach Maurice he indicated that only Evander Kane could answer that question. Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Kane’s agent who said “The damage has worsened. The imaging they did showed progression through the tear he has. With that progression” and added “This is simply a medical issue. Nothing more, nothing less. This is a player that needs to have surgery done and is doing it”.
Here are more of coach Maurice’s comments from today’s scrum:
– When asked if he thought the incident between Evander and the team led to this decision “That’s a question for Evander”.
– Coach Maurice says he believes that Evander would be welcomed back to the Jets dressing room.
– “There are things that the players handle and there are things that I handle. This (Kane situation) was one I handled”. Coach Maurice
– “Looking forward to the puck dropping. So are the players.” Coach Maurice on moving forward.
– “I’m still not telling you why I made the decision. I’ve got people in that room, including Evander, to protect in that room” Coach Maurice.
If you’d like to hear what the Jets bench boss said today to the media we have it all here.