Game 42: Jets 4 Sabres 3 post-game report
The Jets are now 24-11-7 after 42 games on the season. They leap over the idle Blues to take back 1st spot in the central division.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Dustin Byfuglien scored his first goal of the season and you could see in his reaction he was a wee bit happy;
– Jacob Trouba changed his stick (using the curve of 2017 5th rounder Leon Gawanke) and scored;
– Blake Wheeler had a goal and assist to give him 49 points (14 goals 35 assists) in 42 games this season;
– Jets took three penalties in the middle frame and while Sabres didn’t score they did build some momentum;
– Bryan Little’s eighth of the season gave the Jets a 4-2 lead in 3rd (his third goal in five games);
– Connor Hellebuyck is 22-4-0-6 on the season.
Coach Maurice: Is there a risk to that game? On Byfuglien’s minutes. On team discipline. On evaluating the game against the Sabres. Success of special teams. Anything up with Josh Morrissey? Would he consider keeping Wheeler at centre? On this team being more comfortable in games like that. On Byfuglien’s first goal of the season.