Moose Point Streak Ends with 3-2 Defeat to San Jose
The Manitoba Moose began their post-Christmas break with a matinee affair at Bell-MTS Place. Coming into the game, the Jets’ farm club had a 16-game point streak – a record of 15-0-0-1, with just a single loss in the shootout. Their last regulation loss came on November 12 against today’s opponent, the San Jose Barracuda. Just prior to game time, it was announced that the AHL’s leading scorer, Jack Roslovic, was called up to the big club. In his absence, Mason Appleton was shifted over to play centre ice.
Scratches: Comrie (day-to-day), Nogier (long-term IR)
(2) Scoring Summary
Barracuda Goal (1): Just 1:10 into the first period, Filip Sandberg put the Barracuda up by 1.
Moose Goal (1): About 7 minutes into the second, JC Lipon came out from the corner and directed a shot on net; Mike Sgarbossa picked up the rebound and slid it home.
Barracuda Goal (2): Just 23 seconds after the Moose tied it up, Brandon Bollig slipped behind the D and took the puck to the net, deked forehand-backhand on Hutchinson and slipped it home to restore the Barracuda lead.
Moose Goal (2): On a powerplay early in the third, Sami Niku controlled the puck along the wall on his off wing (right side); he walked the puck in closer to the faceoff dot and ripped a wrist shot over the right pad of Troy Groesnick to tie things up at 2.
Barracuda Goal (3): Following a Moose PP which was cut short due to a Brendan Lemieux slashing call, a rebound eluded Cam Schilling and was put home by Manuel Wiederer.
(3) Official Scoring Summary
Game sheet link.
(4) Game Notes & Other News
– While the final shot tally was 26-each, the Moose out-chanced the Barracuda 16-10
– The game featured two penalty shots – one from each team. (Neither was successful)
– Sami Niku scored his 5th goal of the season on the PP, giving him 21 points on the year; that puts him tied for 5th among all defencemen in AHL scoring, and tied for 12th among all rookies (including forwards)
– Nic Petan was dynamic for the Moose, creating at least 5 high quality chances along with 5 shots on goal, and an assist. He now has points in 10 of the last 11 games, totaling 17 points over that stretch
– Brendan Lemieux took 3 minor penalties today – hooking, roughing, and slashing; he’s second on the team in PIM’s with 48, but has played 11 fewer games than the leader, Mike Sgarbossa (49 PIM’s)
– Eric Comrie did not dress, but appears close to returning to game action
– Early indications are that Jack Roslovic won’t dress for the Jets in their New Year’s Eve game against Edmonton
-The Moose end today with a record of 23-6-1-2, lead their division by 11 points, and are 5 points clear of Providence for first in the AHL
Coach Pascal Vincent
(6) Next Game Action
Sunday afternoon at Bell-MTS Place in a rematch with the Barracuda.