Tobias Enstrom and the Winnipeg Jets haven’t discussed the future

Posted by David Minuk in Columns,Winnipeg Jets on April 18, 2017 — No Comments

Last week when the Jets were cleaning out their lockers, Tobias Enstrom was asked about how much he has considered the Expansion Draft this season.  The longtime Thrashers/Jets defenceman indicated that his focus has been on recovering from knee surgery as well as the concussion he suffered back in March.  When he was pressed as to whether or not the team had asked him to waive his no-move clause he said “we haven’t had any conversations about the future.”

Enstrom has one year left on the five year extension he signed with the Jets back on July 27th, 2012.  The veteran defenceman’s production has fallen from 30 points in 82 games back in 2013-14 to just 14 this season in 60 games.

Photo Credit: Colby Spence

He added “I’ve been in this franchise for 10 years and I’m happy here and I’m excited to see where this team is going. Like I said earlier this is a team that I believe should be in the playoffs, and I’m proud every night I get to put this jersey on.”

Photo Credit Colby Spence

He was asked one last time if he would agree to waive his no-move clause if asked by the team but reiterated that due to his injuries he hasn’t given it any thought.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff in his end of season chat was asked if he would ask a player about waiving a no movement clause but he was non committal in his response.

The NHL Expansion Draft is set to take place on June 18–20 with the announcement of the team on June 21 and with the Jets season over many folks around here are wondering what Winnipeg is planning to do with their team.

The options for NHL teams are as follows:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender;

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defencemen) and one goaltender.

One possibility/suggestion that is out there and which would allow the Jets to protect their maximum number of players under option A would be to have Tobias Enstrom waive his no-move clause.  Of course just because he allows himself to be exposed doesn’t ensure that he would be selected by Vegas.  Otherwise he will need to be protected and the Jets would likely have to go with option B to protect their four defencemen (Byfuglien, Enstrom, Trouba and Myers) leaving them having to expose a forward.

Of course there are all sorts of options that could still come into play (i.e. Jets trading Vegas something to avoid player X being selected or they successfully get Enstorm to waive the no-move) which will mean it is going to make for a very interesting time in June for this franchise.