Game Day Set-Up: Kings @ Jets
When: Thursday, March 6, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. CST
Where: MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Records: Winnipeg Jets (30-26-7, 10th in the Western Conference), Los Angeles Kings (35-22-6, 6th in the Western Conference)
Television/Radio: CBC, FS-W/ TSN 1290 Radio
On the Horizon: Saturday, March 8th at home against the Ottawa Senators (2:00 p.m. CST).
Last Game: 3-2 loss (OT) to the New York Islanders
Winnipeg Jets: Blake Wheeler (23 goals, 27 assists, 50 points), Bryan Little (19 goals, 30 assists, 49 points), Andrew Ladd (17 goals, 28 assists, 45 points), Dustin Byfuglien (13 goals, 31 assists, 44 points), Olli Jokinen (14 goals, 20 assists, 34 points)
Los Angeles Kings: Anze Kopitar (19 goals, 33 assists, 52 points), Jeff Carter (22 goals, 18 assists, 40 points), Mike Richards (8 goals, 30 assists, 38 points), Justin Williams (16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points), Drew Doughty (8 goals, 23 assists, 31 points)
Game Day Notes:
– Heading into tonight’s game, the Jets sit in 10th place in the Western Conference, one point behind the Dallas Stars for the 8th and final playoff spot. The Jets have played one more game than the Stars.
– The Kings won their last game 2-1 over the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday. Los Angeles is 6-4-0 over their last 10 games.
– After tonight’s game, the Jets play six of their next eight games at home.
– On Wednesday, the Jets announced that rookie forward Mark Scheifele will be out 6-8 weeks with an MCL sprain in his knee. Scheifele sustained the injury during Tuesday’s night game against the New York Islanders.
– Marian Gaborik will make his debut for the Kings tonight. Gaborik was acquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets yesterday prior to the NHL Trade Deadline in exchange for Matt Frattin, a 2014 2nd round draft pick and a conditional 3rd round draft pick. Gaborik has 6 goals and 8 assists in 22 games this year.
– The Jets recalled centre John Albert on Thursday from the St.John’s IceCaps of the American Hockey League. Albert has 17 goals and 16 assists in 51 games for the IceCaps this year. It is not known if the Jets plan on dressing Albert tonight.
– Tonight is Keaton Ellerby’s 200th career NHL game.
-The Kings average 11.7 penalty minutes/game which ranks 22nd in the NHL. The Jets average 12.1 penalty minutes/game which is 24th in the NHL.
– Who’s Hot: Kings forward Anze Kopitar has five goals and six assists in his last 10 games. Jets forward Andrew Ladd has six goals and four assists in his last 10 games.
– Tonight marks Paul Maurice‘s 17th game as Head Coach of the Jets. Winnipeg is 11-3-2 under Maurice so far.
Special Teams Breakdown:
– Los Angeles has the 27th Ranked Power Play in the NHL (14.2%) and the 11th Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (83.0%)
– Winnipeg has the 26th Ranked Power Play in the NHL (14.2%) and the 6th Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (84.6%)
– Ondrej Pavelec (20-22-5, 2.90 GAA, .904 Save Percentage)
– Jonathan Quick (19-13-2, 2.05 GAA, .916 Save Percentage)
Projected Winnipeg Jets Line Combinations:
Andrew Ladd-Bryan Little-Blake Wheeler
Evander Kane-Olli Jokinen-Dustin Byfuglien
Devin Setoguchi-Michael Frolik-Matt Halischuk
Eric Tangradi- Jim Slater-Anthony Peluso
Zach Bogosian – Tobias Enstrom
Mark Stuart – Jacob Trouba
Adam Pardy – Keaton Ellerby
Healthy Scratches: Paul Postma
Projected Los Angeles Kings Line Combinations:
Marian Gaborik- Anze Kopitar- Justin Williams
Dustin Brown- Mike Richards-Jeff Carter
Dwight King- Jarret Stoll- Tyler Toffoli
Jordan Nolan – Trevor Lewis – Kyle Clifford
Jake Muzzin- Drew Doughty
Robyn Regehr- Slava Voynov
Willie Mitchell- Alec Martinez
Healthy Scratches: Matt Greene, Tanner Pearson
Los Angeles Kings: None
Winnipeg Jets: Grant Clitsome (back, out for season), James Wright (ankle), Mark Scheifele (knee)