Game Day Set-Up: Jets @ Predators
When: Saturday, March 1, 2014
Time: 2:00 p.m. CST
Where: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee
Records: Winnipeg Jets (29-26-6, 11th in the Western Conference), Nashville Predators (26-24-10, 12th in the Western Conference)
Television/Radio: TSN-JETS, FS-TN/ TSN 1290 Radio
On the Horizon: Tuesday, March 4th at home against the New York Islanders (7:00 p.m. CST).
Last Game: 3-2 home win (SO) over the Phoenix Coyotes
Winnipeg Jets: Blake Wheeler (23 goals, 26 assists, 49 points), Bryan Little (19 goals, 29 assists, 48 points), Dustin Byfuglien (13 goals, 31 assists, 44 points), Andrew Ladd (14 goals, 28 assists, 42 points), Mark Scheifele (13 goals, 21 assists, 34 points)
Nashville Predators: David Legwand (10 goals, 30 assists, 40 points), Shea Weber (15 goals, 25 assists, 40 points), Craig Smith (18 goals, 19 assists, 37 points), Mike Smith (16 goals, 15 assists, 31 points), Patric Hornqvist (11 goals, 20 assists, 31 points)
Game Day Notes:
– Heading into this afternoon’s game, the Jets are two points ahead of the Predators, having played one more game. The Jets are two points behind the Dallas Stars for the 8th and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Dallas has played two fewer games than the Jets.
– The Predators defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-2 on Thursday night and are 5-2-3 over their last 10 games.
– After today’s game, the Jets play eight of their next 10 games at home.
– Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne (hip infection) played for the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL) on Friday night. Rinne is playing for Milwaukee on a conditioning assignment. He has been out since late October. It is not known when Rinne will return to the Predators.
– Nashville averages 2.47 goals/game, 23rd in the NHL. The Jets average 2.70 goals/game, 15th in the NHL. Nashville averages 2.92 goals against/game, 23rd in the NHL. The Jets average 2.82 goals/against, 20th in the NHL.
-The Predators average 10.1 penalty minutes/game which ranks 8th in the NHL. The Jets average 12.0 penalty minutes/game which is 24th in the NHL.
– Dustin Byfuglien leads the Jets with 158 hits (19th most in the NHL). Eric Nystrom leads the Predators with 121 hits (Tied for 70th in the NHL)
– Who’s Hot: Nashville forward Craig Smith has three goals and five assists in his last 10 games. Jets forward Blake Wheeler has six goals and five assists in his last 11 games.
– Tonight marks Paul Maurice‘s 15th game as Head Coach of the Jets. Winnipeg is 10-3-1 under Maurice so far.
Special Teams Breakdown:
– Nashville has the 5th Ranked Power Play in the NHL (21.7%) and the 27th Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (79.4%)
– Winnipeg has the 23rd Ranked Power Play in the NHL (14.6%) and the 7th Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (84.2%)
– Ondrej Pavelec (19-22-4, 2.95 GAA, .902 Save Percentage)
– Carter Hutton (14-9-4, 2.84 GAA, .904 Save Percentage)
Projected Winnipeg Jets Line Combinations:
Andrew Ladd-Bryan Little-Michael Frolik
Evander Kane-Mark Scheifele-Blake Wheeler
Devin Setoguchi-Olli Jokinen-Dustin Byfuglien
James Wright- Jim Slater-Chris Thorburn
Zach Bogosian – Tobias Enstrom
Mark Stuart – Jacob Trouba
Adam Pardy – Keaton Ellerby
Healthy Scratches: Eric Tangradi, Anthony Peluso, Paul Postma
Projected Nashville Predators Line Combinations:
Eric Nystrom- Mike Fisher-Patric Hornqvist
Gabriel Bourque- David Legwand- Craig Smith
Viktor Stalberg- Colin Wilson- Simon Moser
Richard Clune – Paul Gaustad – Colton Sissons
Roman Josi- Shea Weber
Michael Del Zotto- Ryan Ellis
Matthias Ekholm- Seth Jones
Nashville Predators: Nick Spaling (lower body), Pekka Rinne (hip)
Winnipeg Jets: Grant Clitsome (back, out for season)