Game Day Set-Up: Jets @ Capitals
When: Thursday, February 6, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. CST
Where: Verizon Center, Washington, DC
Records: Winnipeg Jets (28-25-5, 11th in the Western Conference), Washington Capitals (25-23-9, 13th in the Eastern Conference)
Television/Radio: TSN-JETS, CSN-DC/ TSN 1290 Radio
On the Horizon: Saturday, February 8th on the road against the St.Louis Blues (1:00 p.m. CST).
Last Game: 2-1 road win over the Carolina Hurricanes
Winnipeg Jets: Bryan Little (17 goals, 29 assists, 46 points), Blake Wheeler (22 goals, 24 assists, 46 points), Dustin Byfuglien (12 goals, 29 assists, 41 points), Andrew Ladd (13 goals, 27 assists, 40 points), Mark Scheifele (11 goals, 21 assists, 32 points)
Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin (39 goals, 19 assists, 58 points), Nicklas Backstrom (11 goals, 42 assists, 53 points), Marcus Johansson (7 goals, 27 assists, 34 points), Joel Ward (17 goals, 16 assists, 33 points), Mikhail Grabovski (12 goals, 21 assists, 33 points)
Game Day Notes:
- The Capitals have one win in their last four games and have a record of 3-6-1 over their last 10 games
- Washington’s Power Play (ranked 5th overall in the NHL) is 10-for-66 over the last 19 games
- Washington averages 2.74 goals/game, 14th in the NHL. The Jets average 2.72 goals/game, 15th in the NHL. Washington averages 2.91 goals against/game, 23rd in the NHL. The Jets average 2.81 goals/against, 20th in the NHL.
- Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth will make his fourth consecutive start in goal tonight.
- Washington re-assigned defenseman Tyson Strachan to the Hershey Bears (AHL) on Wednesday. Strachan has one assist in 12 games this season. Washington re-called defensemen Julien Brouillette and Patrick Wey from Hershey on Thursday. Both Brouillette and Wey are expected to play tonight.
- Who’s Hot: Washington forward Alexander Ovechkin has three goals and four assists in his last five games. Washington forward Joel Ward has four goals and an assist in his last four games. Jets forward Blake Wheeler has five goals and seven assists in his last 10 games.
- Who’s Cold: Jets forward Olli Jokinen has not recorded a point in his last nine games. Capitals forward Mikhail Grabovski has not recorded a point in his last five games.
- Tonight marks Paul Maurice‘s 12th game as Head Coach of the Jets. Winnipeg is 9-2 under Maurice so far.
- Alexander Ovechkin has taken 289 shots on goal so far this year, most in the NHL.
- Capitals d-man John Carlson is ranked 13th in the NHL with 113 blocked shots. Jets d-man Mark Stuart is tied for 17th in the NHL with 106 blocked shots.
Special Teams Breakdown:
- Washington has the 5th Ranked Power Play in the NHL (22.5%) and the 18h Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (81.0%)
- Winnipeg has the 25th Ranked Power Play in the NHL (14.4%) and the 8th Ranked Penalty Kill in the NHL (83.3%)
- Ondrej Pavelec (18-21-4, 2.95 GAA, .902 Save Percentage)
- Michal Neuvirth (4-6-2, 2.82 GAA, .914 Save Percentage)
Projected Winnipeg Jets Line Combinations:
Andrew Ladd-Bryan Little-Michael Frolik
Chris Thorburn-Mark Scheifele-Blake Wheeler
Devin Setoguchi-Olli Jokinen-Dustin Byfuglien
Eric Tangradi-James Wright-Anthony Peluso
Zach Bogosian – Tobias Enstrom
Mark Stuart – Jacob Trouba
Adam Pardy – Keaton Ellerby
Healthy Scratches: Zach Redmond, Eric O’Dell
Projected Washington Capitals Line Combinations:
Martin Erat- Nicklas Backstrom-Alexander Ovechkin
Marcus Johansson- Casey Wellman- Troy Brouwer
Jason Chimera -Eric Fehr- Joel Ward
Brooks Laich- Jay Beagle- Tom Wilson
Karl Alzner- John Carlson
Dmitry Orlov-Connor Carrick
Julien Brouillette- Patrick Wey
Washington Capitals: Mike Green (concussion), Aaron Volpatti (shoulder), Mikhail Grabovski (ankle), Jack Hillen (leg), John Erskine (lower body)
Winnipeg Jets: Matt Halischuk (forearm, Injured Reserve), Jim Slater (sports hernia surgery, indefinitely), Grant Clitsome (back, out for season), Evander Kane (hand infection, Injured Reserve).