On the Beat: What will the reception be for Brian Campbell tonight in Buffalo?
David is once again away, so I’m covering for him. Here is the word from beat writers around the NHL on this Friday afternoon:
- Three reasons why the Ducks will make the playoffs and three reasons why the Ducks won’t make the playoffs, courtesy of Curtis Zupke of the OC Register. They have certainly dug themselves a mighty big hole, but I think it’d be too soon to write them off just because of the high talent level.
- Brian Campbell doesn’t want to be booed in his return to Buffalo but we will see tonight. The fans should cheer Campbell because had they re-signed him, they’d be in cap trouble.
- Erik Cole is expected to miss 2-3 weeks and Chad LaRose is expected to miss 3-4 weeks both with injuries. To categorize this season as a disaster of Hurricane proportions would be too easy…Or did I just do that?
- The Jackets have waived Derek MacKenzie. Luckily for Columbus, there is lots of depth up front, something they never used to have, so that forced Scott Howson’s hand here. (Registration is required here but Aaron Portzline says they are trying to get that fixed.)
- Apparently Andrei Markov looks strong at practice. Habs fans have to be encouraged that the team has struck around the playoff pack without arguably their best player.
- The Predators have sent Cal O’Reilly back to the AHL. Predators are quietly moving up the Western Conference standings–take notice.
- Check out how this New Yorker decorated his house. Unbelievable!
- The Bolts have waived Lukas Krajicek. Don’t expect him to be claimed.
- Mike Knuble returns tonight for Washington, but Semyon Varlamov will be out for a week and Brian Pothier hurt his ribs. Just ask the Flyers how important Mike Knuble is to a lineup…