Nightly Hockey Hits: Habs fan rides 12,000 KM for charity, Ovechkin suspended 2 games, Top 10 best coaches of past decade, NHL schedule has big impact, is it time for the Oilers to rebuild?
Make sure you tune in to tomorrow’s Illegalcurve Radio show as the guys will have Mike Harrington (Buffalo News), Jeremy Rutherford (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) and David Pollak (San Jose Mercury News) on the show which starts at 7pm cst. For the latest NHL news, follow Illegalcurve on Twitter.
Here is tonight’s news from around the blogs:
- 12000 KM: Ryan Stotland is in the midst of a 12000 km bike expedition which aims to raise money and awareness for 2 causes, skin cancer and climate change. To date he has raised over 125,000 dollars. Be sure to check out his inspirational story. (as well check out his video at the bottom of the page).
- Habs Inside/Out: Molson brothers officially own the Habs. Wonder if they can do enough immediately to get the Stanley Cup to Montreal for this season, so as to continue the record of the Habs winning a cup in every decade of existence.
- Sens Chirp: Hello Dany. The day that all Senators fans had circled on their calendar once the trade was made is finally here. Should be an interesting game.
- The Bruins Blog: Bergy’s back. The Bruins are getting all sorts of good news.
- The Blue Seats: Rangers just aren’t tough enough. Being sweet won’t win playoff games.
- Broad Street Hockey: The NHL is not out to get the Philadelphia Flyers. It would seem that a lot of teams fans believe there is a bias against their team and I agree that the NHL isn’t against Philly.
- Capitals Insider: Ovechkin suspended two games. I actually didn’t think he stuck his knee out as it looked from the video that he was going for the hit, but he’s been in a weee bit too much trouble lately for the NHL not to hand down a suspension on a close call.
- Canucks Hockey Blog: Hansen playing his role. Good to see a “bubble player” making his mark.
- Copper N Blue: Is rebuilding the path to success for Edmonton? Seems like fans of the Oilers are split between shooting for a top 5 pick and tearing down the team/rebuilding over next two years.
- All things Avs: Hejduk practices, might play tomorrow. Good news for the Avalanche as they could use him back in the lineup.
- The Hockey News: Sharp move by Quenneville. There is a reason he ranks #2 on Puck Daddy’s Top 10 Coaches of the last decade (see below).
- Winging it in Mowtown: Howard turning the corner. What a difference a season makes. Wings fans were not happy with Howard’s play early on but he seems to be changing minds.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Schedules making impact. Has to make you feel good if you are a Pens or Wings fan as your team still have a number of these types of games to look forward to.
- NHL Fanhouse: Hi, my name is Reily Smith. An introduction to the Dallas Stars prospect who is currently playing for the Miami University Red Hawks.
- Puck Daddy: Top 10 NHL coaches of the past decade. I was going to argue when I saw Lemaire at 6th spot but it is hard to disagree with that top 5.
- T.O. Sports: Ritter Rants. Lots of good topics in today’s rant including, Stefan Legein, Nazim Khadri, Sean Avery, Team Canada, Predators streak, Devils winning %, Thrashers goals for and a number of other NHL issues.
- Dobber Hockey: I like…big…busts and I cannot lie. Fantasy hockey busts that is. Get your mind out of the gutter. Although one Panthers fan combines the two.
Check out the video of Ryan’s ride, where he was endorsed by Habs President Pierre Boivin: