On the Beat: Eric Staal expected to play tonight, Todd Bertuzzi feeling the pressure, Oilers O’Sullivan shrugs off negativity, Andrei Kostitsyn is doubtful, Dan Boyle to play tonight.
Today’s word from the team beat writer’s:
- Geopolitical concerns aside, Ducks coach Randy Carlyle had no problems when his two star Finns, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu requested the Russian Evgeny Artyukhin for their line.
- The Boston Bruins are looking to go a perfect 4/4 on this road swing writes Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe and coach Claude Julien is going with Tuukka Rask for the fifth straight time.
- The Canes finally got some good news as Eric Staal was activated from injured reserve this morning and is expected to play tonight against the Anaheim.
- Things haven’t gone too well for the Colorado Avalanches’ T.J. Hensick who was placed on waivers today by the team.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News reporting from practice says the lines have been set and it looks like Marty Turco will be making his fourth straight start in goal.
- If there is one guy who is feeling the pressure to produce in Detroit, it is Todd Bertuzzi, as the rugged forward has only 3 goals in 22 games and he knows he needs to step up his production.
- Edmonton Oiler Patrick O’Sullivan shrugged off the public flogging from former NHL goalie Kelly Hrudey and one-time coach/GM Mike Milbury on Hockey Night in Canada last Saturday.
- The Kings will be going with some AHL talent tonight as they will be without both Rob Scuderi and Jarret Stoll both skated this morning, but won’t be ready to play.
- A.L. MVP Joe Mauer will be dropping the ceremonial puck tonight at the XCel Energy Center writes Michael Russo, which he hopes will get the crowd going after the Wild had four days off, and Chuck Kobasew will return tonight to the lineup in time to face the team that traded him.
- Despite last night’s thrilling victory over Columbus it didn’t come without a cost as Andrei Kostitsyn is a doubtful starter for tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins after he came up limping blocking a shot in the Blue Jackets game.
- Occassionally the Nashville Predators players will take some time off to help write a column for the Tennessean and Pred Dan Hamhus writes about the current win streak that the team is enjoying.
- After taking part in Wednesday’s morning skate, Devils center Rob Niedermayer hasn’t ruled himself out for Friday night’s game in Boston.
- Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has a great preview of the Penguins opponents from Montreal who they take on tonight at the Igloo.
- The Sharks Dan Boyle said tonight’s game against Chicago is “Too big of a game” and “Can’t miss that” writes David Pollak of the Mercury News and he will be in tonight’s lineup.
- The whirlwind week continues for Tampa Bay defenseman Mike Lundin, who was called back up from AHL Norfolk just one day after getting sent down.
- Channeling his best Tomas Holmstrom, will be young Leaf Christian Hanson, who says if you are looking for him tonight in Tampa, look to the front of the goal.
- It appears that Semyon Varlamov will start in goal and Karl Alzner will make his season debut tonight as the Caps attempt to snap a three-game slide against the Sabres.