Nightly Hockey Hits: All eyes on Yzerman, Lundqvist scratched while fighting a nagging injury, Leafs taking steps in right direction, Avery battle looms, top 10 most brutal NHL injuries of the last decade.
For all the latest NHL news be sure to follow IC on Twitter.
And now for word from around the blogs:
- Flames Insider: Avery battle looms. The game is finally here. After all the talk, both on and off the ice, will the battle between the two players actually happen or will it not materialize? IC Trivia: Keith mentions that Craig Conroy will be changing up his stick curve which means that there is only one player remaining in the NHL who uses the Börje Salming curve. Can you name that player? Hint: He plays in the West and is Swedish. Hint 2: He used to play in the Central but now plays in the Northwest.
- Lowetide: Oilers recall Liam Reddox and Ryan Potulny. Calling up both players means Coach Pat Quinn is trying to send a message to his players.
- Working the Corners: Pavelski will play against Penguins, no results yet on Blake’s MRI, and TV guys get a new vantage point. The Sharks had a tough game against the Wings on Thursday and it doesn’t get easier with the defending Stanley Cup champs in-town.
- Morning Skate: Paul Kariya taken off Blues power play. Looks like St. Louis coach Andy Murray is sending a message that even guys who are established can be moved around if they aren’t performing.
- Red Wings Blog: Enforcer Brad May, of all people, supports mandatory visor usage. May seems a bit conflicted by this but after sustaining the odd injury by his own teammate. Perhaps he now see’s things differently. (pretty good pun, huh!) but I hope it doesn’t affect his ability to look deeply into the eyes of his next opponent.
- Sen Say: A play-off game? Looking ahead for the Senators, they are going to be facing some tough competition coming up and they need to get off to better 1st period starts.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Baby steps. It appears that coach Ron Wilson is getting through to his troops and perhaps his 1st period rant in Carolina last night, will start the Leafs on the winning path.
- Battle of New York: Lundqvist out tonight versus Flames. For the Rangers sake, let’s hope that whatever injury he is nursing, it is a minor one.
- On Frozen Blog: Nylander put on waivers. It looks doubtful that he will ever wear a Caps jersey again, but are any of the 29 other teams willing to take that bloated contract?
- Hockey or Die: Vincent Lecavalier vs. Steven Stamkos. I didn’t think he would arrive at that conclusion based on the initial part of the article, but I like his selection.
- The Hockey News: Injuries ruling the day. The list of injured is a whose who of top players. Let’s hope that the league got hit with the injury bug early and will most past it quickly.
- Puck Daddy: The 10 most brutal NHL injuries of the last decade. If you are squeamish, you might want to pass on watching some of these horrific videos. If anyone questions the level of toughness of hockey players, just watch some of these.
- Greatest Hockey Legends: All eyes on Yzerman. Pretty good summation of a wonderful career. Class act all the way.