Nightly Hockey Hits: 38 things you didn’t know about the Devils, Favorite Leaf goal, Reaction to Judge Baum’s bomb, Looking at Mats Sundin’s career.
Some news and notes from across the blogs the day before the season starts:
Don’t forget to check out IC’s 30 Teams in 30 Days which we have been previewing for the last month. As well tomorrow we reveal all the IC writer’s predictions for the upcoming season.
- Japers’ Rink: What losing Chris Bourque really means to Washington. It does suck that they lost him for basically $77,500 with Nylander’s $4.875 million per season taking up a big chunk of the salary cap. Thanks again to J.P. for contributing to our Caps preview today.
- Interchangeable Parts: 38 things you didn’t know about the 2009/10 New Jersey Devils. Ha. Funny list. Hockey needs more funny blogs.
- The H does NOT stand for Habs: Ode to Pierre McGuire. Pretty catchy/funny little ditty.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Favorite Maple Leaf goal. I’d go with Doug Gilmour’s wrap around or anything by Dave Ellet.
- Frozen Leafs: A competitive camp has led to changes. As the author indicates, a little competition isn’t such a bad thing.
- T.O. Sports: John Ferguson deserves some thanks. Are Leafs fan willing to thank him for the good moves (few as they may be) that he did make?
- Lighthouse Hockey: Q & A with Pat Lafontaine. The four overtime game will go down as one of my best playoff memories.
- New York Rangers Blog: Yankee Stadium Winter Classic a no go? Seems pretty clear that it isn’t happening.
- Stanley Cup of Chowder: Twas the night before puck drop….Guess people are feeling festive.
- Pensburgh: The Stanley Cup is engraved. Congrats to the Pens.
- Working the Corners: “They were looking for a change and there are some pretty good guys now wearing the letters” — Patrick Marleau. Rob Blake is a pretty safe choice for the Sharks.
- All things Avs: Opening night not sold out. While I know it is a rebuilding season, you would think that for opening night, the Pepsi Center would be sold out.
- The Hockey News: Schremp the latest in a long line of failed Edmonton first-rounders. Word on the street is that he may be playing with 1st overall choice Tavares on the Island, so things might work out ok for Schremp.
- Lowetide: North by Northwest. I too think that they are overdue for a champion and I think both the Flames and Canucks have a decent shot this season.
- Flames Nation: Goats and Stars. I think Olli is going to break out with the Flames this season.
- The Hockey News: Hodgson must keep head high. Looks like injuries were too much to overcome during training camp.
- From the Rink: Nobody wins the auction, but the NHL wins. The NHL got that always lucky “without prejudice” attached to the judge’s ruling.
- Hockey Analysis: What’s next for Balsillie/NHL? While it would appear that he is calling it quits, never say never.
- TSN: NHLPA under fire for conflict of interest. Does anyone see the irony? The guy hired to audit the process had a conflict that he failed to disclose. (ignore the fact that he was a former chief Justice in Ontario).
- Fire Wagon Hockey: Examining the DirecTV/Versus debacle. Pretty in-depth article detailing all that is going on in the war between the cable providers.
- Brodeur is a Fraud: Percentages. Very cool breakdown, looking at whether it is best to outshoot the other team OR playing even or getting outshot and relying on superior percentages to end up ahead on the scoreboard.
- Greatest Hockey Legends: A look back at Mats Sundin’s career and whether he is Hall of Fame worthy. Was a great 18 seasons and I think if you look at the sum total of his work (NHL & International) there is no question he should be in the Hall.