Nightly Hockey Hits: Looking at the Sharks shakeup, Gilroy impresses Rangers, Who would you choose Sid, Geno or Alex?
Some news and notes from across the blogs:
- Flames Nation: Flames invest in Prust fund. Sutter loves this kid, although since he’s only won 5 of 19 fights, it can’t be for his pugilism.
- Mother Pucker: Sheldon Sourway breaks glass twice. I wouldn’t want to get in front of this guy’s cannon.
- Hockey Wilderness: Wild make cuts, re-assign players and still haven’t declared a captain. Interesting that Coach Richards still hasn’t handed out the ‘C’.
- NHL Fanhouse: Looking at the Sharks shakeup. Who knew a President’s Cup winner could need such a big shakeup.
- The Bruins Blog: Is Kessel a good fit for the Leafs? Sounds like we will be hearing very soon if he is.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Truculence breeds satisfaction. I had a discussion with a Swedish reporter yesterday at the Wings game. He told me that in Sweden, soccer teams are known for playing certain styles (regardless of coaching philosophy). He asked if this was the case in hockey. My thought was that team’s generally take on the style of the coach/management instead of coach/management coming in and adopting a philosophy already in existence. And nowhere does that seem more apparent than in Toronto, a team that has Brian Burke written all over it.
- NY Rangers Cast: Gilroy impresses. Ranger fans are very happy that the Hobey Baker Award winner and NCAA champion with the Terriers has gotten off to a good start at training camp.
- The Hockey News: Higgins hitches a new ride. Montreal must be quite the place when you view New York as slower pace.
- Fire & Ice: Langenbrunner back with Parise and Zajac; Swift, Sestito promoted to first group. Sounds like Andy Greene committed a no, no when he accidentally drove Zach Parise face first into the corner boards.
- A View from the Cheap Seats: Claiming the ‘A’ in Washington. The Caps are in a good spot in that they have lots of worthwhile candidates for the position.
- Japers’ Rink: Semyon Varlamov: “I Missed the NHL Terribly”. The opening paragraph alone is worth reading. Washington is going to need him to be ‘the man’ this season for them to go far.
- The Hockey News: Sid, Geno or Alex? How lucky is Pens GM Shero considering he has 2 of the 3.
- Puck Daddy: Versus and DirectTv are talking but can they agree on sharing. Someone needs to go back to Nursery school and re-learn how to share.
- T.O. Sports: A look into the NHL. Make it 8 now!! Shouldn’t there be 7 first?
Welcome back to the NHL Theo Fleury who scored the shootout winner, to give Calgary the 5-4 victory over the New York Islanders.
Although the big news out of Calgary was Dion Phaneuf’s monster hit on New York Islander Kyle Okposo which unfortunately sent the youngster to a Calgary hospital.