Blog Hits: Brian Burke must hate marriage because he wants to ban lifetime deals…
Some news and notes from the Blogs today:
- Puck Daddy: Burke wants scrutiny on ‘lifetime’ deals; should they be outlawed? I can see Burke’s point, but as Greg outlines in the article, teams like the Wings have been allowed to retain talent that they drafted and developed, and really why shouldn’t they be able to do so? Tough to say.
- T.O. Sports: The Leafs Crease Beasts- Can Toskala come back? Is Gustavsson really a “Monster”, or Will he be a dud? There sure has been a lot written about the Monster. Hopefully he can live up to the hype of being a back-up goalie.
- Raw Charge: The Lightning defense – the 09-10 edition. Who are the bubble defenceman that should make the squad? (vote on their poll).
- Snapshots: KHL vice president believes NHL cannot stop Red Wings forward Jiri Hudler from joining Dynamo Moscow. Well as we discussed last week, so much for harmony between the NHL and the KHL. Is this the hockey world’s version of the “Cold War”?
- Winging it in Mowtown: Grier “Interested” In Detroit, still wait and see. Spent a car ride to the Fowlerville Fair in Fowlerville, Michigan with a buddy (IC reader Chris) discussing who would fill the empty spots in the roster. Grier wasn’t a name that came up, but he could be an interesting role player on the team.
- From the Rink: Balsillie to meet NHL brass Wednesday. Good times as the Phoenix saga continues.
- Flamesnation: Why I’m a terrible Flames fan. Good read. Finally someone’s whose homerism isn’t overwhelming. I wouldn’t call him terrible; I’d say he’s a pragmatic fan.
- Oilersnation: On the fence, for better or for worse. Happily we get both the optimist and pessimist Oilers fan.
- The Copper and Blue: In defense of Jeff Deslauriers as an NHL goaltender. Could fit in as a #2. Never know what will happen when that #1 goes down, and you get thrown into the fire.
- Lowetide: Why the intertia? Is Oilernation always this worried when the team doesn’t pull off a major deal?
- Lions in Winter: Looking at underrated summer signings. An in-depth look at Jaroslave Spacek. Interesting piece.
- Goon’s World: Michael Forney not going back to UND. Looks like he might be have a better opportunity having signed with the Thrashers and playing in the AHL.
- Hurricane Watch: The Lethbridge Hurricanes have a push on for more seasons tickets. Always nice to see WHL teams doing well and if the season ticket drive is successful, hopefully it translates on ice for Lethbridge.
- Andrews Dallas Stars Page: Summer rankings of the Dallas Stars’ Top 12 prospects heading into the 2009-10 season. Nice look at whose coming up the ranks.
- Pension Plan Puppets: Breaking News: Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart for Wayne Primeau. I’m with PPP, last thought of Wayne Primeau when he fought his bro. Flames fans seem happy they got rid of the contract. Rich did a very good analysis of this deal below.