Blog Hits: How many goalies are too many on Long Island?
Some news and notes from the Blogs today:
- Lighthouse Hockey: Islanders sign Martin Biron for one year, $1.4 million. Things are looking up on the Island. Free agents signing there instead of leaving. First choice overall John Tavares is an important piece of the puzzle in order for the Islanders to get back to the late 70′s, early 80′s dominance.
- Winging it in Mowtown: Holland, Wings preparing to move forward without Hudler. I think the Wings will be fine without him. Lots of guys in Grand Rapids to take his spot.
- Raw Charge: Mike Smith is on the hot seat. The Lightning goals against has gotten steadily worse (279 in 09′) since they won the Stanley Cup (192).
- Western College Hockey: USA Hockey Ivan Hlinka team announced. Appears that the biggest weakness of this team will up front.
- From the Rink: How KHL clubs woo NHL free agents: Gerber signs a tax-free, rent-free contract. Hard to argue with not paying taxes and free everything.
- Snapshots: Red Wings legend Gordie Howe on Versus’ fan-voting list for ‘toughest athlete’ honors. Mr. Hockey is one tough nut. One of the 3 components to the Gordie Howe hat trick is a fight. Guy played for decades and if you look at his numbers when he played, he didn’t miss any games.
- Lowetide: The case for hiring Khabibulin. I’m still a big backer of his play.
- OilersNation: Hindsight. Have the Oilers been here before? Hopefully they will tighten up defensively and with the addition of Khabibulin that should help stem the tide of goals.
- FlamesNation: Dump your garbage on a garbage franchise. Tell us how you really feel. Is Phoenix merely making this move just to get above the Cap floor?
- Canucks Army: Canucks Sign Four – Are Hodgson and Grabner Now Locks? Looks like the Canucks are just filling out the Manitoba Moose for now.
- Down Goes Brown: Maple Leafs Overtime Heroes: Gary Roberts vs the Senators. Gary makes his first shot of the night count.
- NHL Fanhouse: FanHouse Chats with Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason. As he says, he has definitely benefited from playing under Ken Hitchcock, but he is an excellent goalie who will be an important piece for Columbus to make it past the first round.
- On Frozen Blog: You’re living where? Sid the Kid’s living arrangements come under fire. Perhaps he is taking his moniker a little too seriously.
- Puck Daddy: Evgeni Malkin on playing in Russia, Stanley Cup plans and beach paparazzi shots: ‘They were good. What else can I say?’ The beach shots were very, very good. It looks like he’s enjoyed his summer. And its hard not to. He’s 22 and just won the Cup.
- Greatest Hockey Legends: Brothers Pavel & Valeri Bure. Pavel was one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen play. He was pure speed on the ice. Valeri. Well he was married to D.J. from Full House.
- icethetics: Sweater switch 2009. If you want to see your teams new players wearing their new team jerseys, here they are.
- The Program: Gives us this video of the Top 10 goals from this past season:
Not sure I agree with the choice for #1. In fact I liked the Ryan goal better.