Blog Hits: Cold War game to lose attendance title?
Some news and notes from the Blogs today:
- Slap Shot: First game between Germany and the U.S. tapped to draw 76,000 for 2010 Worlds. There were 74,544 who were at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan on Oct. 6, 2001 to see Michigan State and Michigan face off and set the current world record for attendance at a single hockey game who are hoping that the game in Germany doesn’t sell out.
- Lowetide: Is this the worst summer ever for Oilernations? It would appear that Oilers fans have suffered some amnesia based on this list.
- Cult of Hockey: Why Oilers fans hate July. Its ironic that we Canadians long for summer’s weather but cannot wait for winter to start so hockey can begin again.
- mc79hockey: The new new thing: Pouliot replaces Brodziak? It is amazing that some teams can spend to almost the cap just to make the playoffs whereas others do so much more.
- From the Rink: Gerber signs with Ray Emery’s former club Atlant Mytishchi on a one-year contract. I always liked Gerber as a solid back-up goaltender.
- NHL Fanhouse: Stan Bowman talks about running the show in Chicago. Regardless of how you feel about the way the team went about re-assigning Dale Tallon, it is now the Stan Bowman show, and my guess it he will do well at the helm. He’s spent enough years as an understudy to have earned this opportunity. Then again remember what Cosmo Kramer said about understudies; “they are a very shifty bunch. The substitute teachers of the theater world.”
- Puck-rakers: The Blue Jackets have signed defenseman John Moore, their first-round pick (No. 21) in last month’s entry draft, to a 3 year, entry-level contract. Blue Jackets are still quite far away from being a team to fear in the playoffs but Ken Hitchcock is a great coach and will get the most from them.
- Lions in Winter: Some reactions to the new Montreal signings. This team should be very interesting next season.
- Pension Plan Puppets: Five questions for the dog days of the Hockey Season. I have a question for Leafs nation. When are you planning on becoming Stanley Cup Contenders again?
- Five for Howling: Radim Vrbata headed back to the Coyotes. Good for Phoenix for getting stuff done while their ownership situation still remains out there.
- Battle of California: Are the Kings still looking to make moves this summer? I really thought the Kings would have been making a splashy move in the free agent market but it appears they are happy with the Smyth and Scuderi signing.
- icethetics: Wild unveiling 3rd jersey in September. I like the Wild jerseys. Which teams do you think could most use an overhaul?
- Crash the Crease: One-on-One with Flyers prospect James van Riemsdyk. Great interview. And no question the between the legs OT goal was the sickest he’s scored.