NHL Morning Papers (Sunday Edition): A closer look at Pierre Lacroix, Doug Wilson turned down an offer for Christian Ehrhoff and should Rangers try and trade for Marc Savard?
- The Sabres have signed free agent defenseman Joe DiPenta to a one-year deal.
- The Coyotes are attempting to re-sign Scottie Upshall and Keith Yandle to new contracts.
- Ray Shero was disappointed to see Rob Scuderi and Hal Gill leave town, but he is still confident in his team’s defense heading into 2009/10.
- Lightning GM Brian Lawton’s recent signings could have been partly expected considering his old agency represents a number of these players.
- Staying in Tampa Bay, free agent signing Matt Walker’s finger is a YouTube phenomenon.
- The Habs have signed Kyle Chipchura to a one-year deal.
- On Saturday, the Flames announced the signing of tough guy Brian McGrattan.
- Youngster Mike Funk has signed with his favorite team growing up, the Vancouver Canucks, after being non-tenedered by the Sabres.
- After a bunch of free agent signings, here is a look at the Habs’ depth chart heading into the 2009/10 season.
- Thrashers first round pick, Evander Kane, has been working on the fundamentals of the game from a very young age, explains Chris Vivlamore.
- New York Rangers prospect Chris Krieder was almost a Canadien, writes Kevin Paul Dupont.
- Some people compare Bruins prospect Jamie Arniel with Ottawa center Mike Fisher.
- Detroit prospect Tomas Tatar would much prefer to play in the Ontario Hockey League next season if he can, writes George Sipple.
- The Predators continue to quietly churn out unknown goaltenders through their minor league system, writes John Glennon.
- The Coyotes have been very impressed with the play of new prospect Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
- Jim Baumbach of Newsday compares John Tavares’s demeanor to that of Derek Jeter.
- Lightning prospect Dana Tyrell is relieved to finally be back on the ice skating, writes Damian Cristodero.
- After the closing of the Blues’ development camp, John Davidson wished everyone a good summer, as teams are beginning to take some time away from the game.
- Canadiens prospect guru Trevor Timmins was very pleased with the team’s development camp this past week.
- In sad news, former Sabre Reg Fleming passed away at the age of 73.
- Woody Paige of the Denver Post has a very informative interview with Pierre Lacroix regarding a number of Avalanche related issues.
- The story of how Don Baizley became Joe Sakic’s long-time agent is a good one.
- Terry Frei of the Denver Post says that Avalanche fans should look at Pittsburgh as a model for rebuilding.
- Earlier this off-season, Sharks GM Doug Wilson turned down an offer of Jason Chimera for Sharks defenseman Christian Ehrhoff.
- It has been a couple days since a Dany Heatley article was written, so here’s the latest from Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal. Barnes wants people to realize that Heatley is what we think he is.
- Marian Gaborik is one motivated player as he looks forward to his first season in New York, explains Larry Brooks.
- In his Sunday Slap Shots column, Brooks suggests the Rangers offer Brandon Dubinsky to the Bruins straight up for Marc Savard.
- A Canadian–not named Jim Balsillie– wants to purchase the Coyotes.
- In nice news, Jarome Iginla and Cassie Campbell have raised money for the Ronald McDonald House.