On the Beat: Wings more injured than past teams and Carolina brings back same coaching staff
What team beat writers are saying this afternoon:
Stanley Cup Final
- Compared to their other championship teams, this Wings squad has faced the most significant injuries. Good point by Wilkinson. This is obviously a testament to the Wings’ depth. Consider that they can insert Ville Leino or Justin Abdelkader into the lineup and get solid production, as well as see players like Valtteri Filppula take on more responsibility and their depth truly is impressive.
- Bruce Garrioch wonders if Marc-Andre Fleury can find his game when he needs to most? I believe he can, but I may be in the minority.
- Seth Rorabaugh links up the CBC’s opening for Game 5. CBC’s ratings may be down, but their ability to dominate the headlines with eye-catching openings is probably the best it’s ever been.
- It is expected the Carolina Hurricanes coaching staff will be the same next season. Good work by Rutherford to bring back the same group. They clearly did a tremendous job with the club they had, and with a full season under this coaching staff, the Canes are surely aiming to finish higher than the sixth seed next season.
- The Blackhawks have signed four prospects. Nothing overly significant, or surprising about these moves.
- Michael Russo thinks Derek Boogaard could find himself on the move this summer. He is one of the most physically intimidating players in the NHL and a player that would fit well on a number of teams Russo mentioned.