On the Beat: Khabibulin gets the start tonight
What beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Lindy Ruff sure impressed his players, fellow coaches and trainers with his “called shot” at practice today. Nice work Lindy.
- Ilya Kovalchuk was moved to the point on the Thrashers’ power play at practice. He was used there a ton last year, so this isn’t much of a surprise.
- Nikolai Khabibulin will get the start in net for the Blackhawks tonight. The Hawks continue to alternate netminders.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post doesn’t understand why the Avs didn’t re-sign Jose Theodore. I can understand that, I just can’t understand why Peter Budaj was the answer.
- Georges Laraque is playing tonight for the Habs, with Steve Begin a healthy scratch. This will be the big fella’s debut.
- Rick DiPietro is looking like he should return to the Islanders line-up very soon. The team needs him between the pipes if they are going to compete every night.